You are here
Life Sciences and Mathematics Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies
Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology of University of Gdansk and Medical University of Gdansk
Webpage of the Faculty: http://www.biotech.ug.edu.pl/
Life Sciences and Mathematics Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies LiSMIDoS are taught at the following faculties: the Inter-Collegiate Faculty of Biotechnology (University of Gdańsk and Gdańsk Medical University), he Faculty of Biology, the Faculty of Chemistry, and the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics, and Informatics. The following are also involved: Gdańsk Medical University and the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.
- exact sciences
- life sciences
Doctoral studies are full-time and last four years (eight semesters).
ILife Sciences and Mathematics Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies have been established by resolutions of councils of four faculties:
Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology UG&MUG,
Faculty of Biology,
Faculty of Chemistry
Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics.
Life Sciences and Mathematics Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies (LiSMIDoS) will enable the student to:
- conduct his/her own independent research, including research outside the institution where studies are held;
- engage in scientific co-operation in research teams, including international ones (this will be helped by the fact that the doctoral studies will be conducted in English);
- prepare at least one scientific publication accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal with international distribution, or a publication in peer-reviewed international post-conference materials;
- follow the program of studies, which includes required courses, elective courses, and internships;
- prepare for doctoral examinations;
- prepare a doctoral dissertation under the guidance of a supervisor and auxiliary supervisor;
- participate in the life of the scientific community in Poland and abroad.
These studies aim to promote an interdisciplinary approach to research in the field of life sciences and mathematics, and to assure a high level of doctoral student education through conducting and implementing doctoral projects in research groups in the four University of Gdańsk faculties offering the program. Interdisciplinary studies make it possible for students to make use of the substantial research resources of the units involved. Students in LiSMIDoS will receive a thorough preparation in one of the life sciences or fields of mathematics, and at least a good preparation in one additional discipline. During the program, special emphasis is placed on competence in using methods drawn from Bioinformatics in research work, and on competence in modeling and/or processing large quantities of data. In contemporary science and scientific practice, numerical modeling (broadly conceived) is an important supplement or even an alternative to empirical studies. It is especially important when there are technical or ethical limits to empirical research.